Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Like a Rose

Last night, I had a heart to heart with my roommate, who opened up about being sad about leaving Ireland. She's recently come to the realization that after she returns from her trip around Europe? Which she leaves for on Friday, we'll only have three weeks together. As she lives on the other side of the country (and both of us are pretty adamant about our coated pride) it is fairly safe to say that we will never again live together.

As we talked about our impending separation, I couldn't help but think about the idea, which a friend of mine shared about this time last year: people come into your life when they're meant to, for as long as they're meant to. Everyone you meet has a significance. Of course there are some people who I hope are meant to be in my life for a long, long time, but I do believe that - as hard as it may be - relationships end. With every end, there is hope for growth. It's like a rose, when you prune back a branch, it grows back healthier. While I hope that my roommate and I do stay in contact, which I really think we will, I know that because she has come into my life at all, I have grown.

Like losing my dad. Of course I wish it hadn't happened, but it did. And because it happened, when it happened, I have grown. I have grown into a person who seeks happiness, a person who pushes for adventure, a person who holds onto love.

No comments:

Post a Comment