Tuesday, January 8, 2013

An Anecdote

"Come here!! Oh my God, you guys, come here!!"

As Chelsea and I scrambled to our roommate Erin's window, she said, "There is a car totally hitting another car!"

What?

Peering out the window, not very inconspicuously, the three of us watched a man in a Volvo back his car into a too tight for comfort parking spot, after pushing the little silver car behind him back. He just, balls to the walls, edged himself into a parking spot he shouldn't have fit in. The best part may have been when he waited for the pedestrians to walk by before finishing the job. It seriously was like a scene from a movie. A woman in a red trench coat was walking one direction, as a man in a black sweatshirt walked the other. "Which way to Dunnes?" I imagine her asking. Because for a good 45 seconds, they each took turns pointing, and talking. Finally, they went their separate ways, and the Volvo continued backing into the spot.

I don't know whether I should be impressed or mortified. On one hand, this man saw what he wanted, and made it happen. On the other hand, how dare you?! What if he had damaged the car he carelessly backed into? What if he had been caught by the car owner and had gotten into trouble? I guess, it doesn't really matter. I'll never see him again. As I don't drive in this country, I'll probably never be affected by his recklessness, but I don't think I'll ever forget that crazy man in the Volvo.

No comments:

Post a Comment