Friday, January 25, 2013

Faith

On Wednesday evening, a group from Saint Mary's came to Galway. They're making their way around Ireland exploring the literature from the country, and for a few days, they're studying here in Galway. I was so excited that they were coming because the two professors leading the trip are people who I hold close to my heart. One is Father Tom, a priest, who lived two doors down from me last year, as my Resident Director. And the second is a professor that I had my first semester freshman year, Rosemary. Rosemary means a lot to me because it was through her class and with her guidance that I was able to get through that terrible time in my life. English 25: Introduction to Creative Writing was my beacon of light. I was able to write about my dad and my sadness and my hopes. It gave me a direction, when I could barely tell you which way was up. It was through that early writing, and through Rosemary's unwavering support that I knew I needed to write my book.

Needless to say, I was excited to see these two wonderful figures in my life , not to mention getting to see some familiar SMC faces. (Although, I'll be honest, I didn't really know any of the students on the trip, there is something about our small school in Moraga that tends to create an immediate bond). They were kind enough to invite Chelsea and I out to dinner on Wednesday night, which sadly, Chelsea couldn't go to as she's fighting off a sinus infection, a respiratory tract infection, and possibly strep throat. But I went, and it was just a really nice evening. Nothing truly extraordinary happened, and I just stayed in on Wednesday night, but it really was a taste of home. It also made me realize just how lucky I am to be studying here. While I am truly envious of the traveling these students have done, I realized the benefits of having planted roots in one part of Ireland. We know the bouncers at the pubs. We know the best places to eat, and which places to avoid. We're, I finally realized, comfortable here.

Today we met up with the group again, as we bummed a ride to the Celtic Crystal factory. It was absolutely incredible. You walk into this big showroom, where every inch of every wall is lined with hand-made crystal ware. There were bowls and glasses and just about everything you could think of, each with a Celtic design inspired by Irish history, or something from the Book of Kells. There were wine glasses with the claddagh design and bowls with the shamrock and a whole set of tableware with a beautiful wheat pattern, commemorating the great famine. Several times the joke was made that all the girls were making their wedding registry as we looked around in awe of the artistry.

The impressiveness of the place didn't stop there. It turns out that none of the glass cutters use patterns. Each and every piece is made from memory. It is made from knowing the designs, feeling the patterns, and living the crystal. It takes a tremendous amount of work before you can be considered a glass cutter. First, you must prove your artistry by having an honors certificate in art and design. From there, you are taken on as an apprentice for five years. If you ever hope to work with the colored crystal - red from gold, green from nickle, and blue from cobalt - you are required to do two more years as an apprentice. Only then, after years of training and practice, are you considered ready to work with the pieces.

Perhaps even more impressive than that, though, is the owner's story. A little old lady named Mary owns Celtic Crystal; she has for 41 years, and she built it up from nothing. Her mother wanted her to be a teacher. That, she thought, would be a stable, respectable position. But Mary studied art and crystal cutting and fell in love with it. After graduating from college, she traveled to Germany to learn how to make colored crystal, and when she came back to Ireland, she knew she was ready to open her own factory. Her mother said she wouldn't bail her out if the factory didn't produce revenue, so she was in a sink or swim situation. She swam. Boy, how she swam! 41 years later she is the proud owned of a beautiful collection of crystal works, with a trusted staff of glass blowers and cutters. It is so inspiring to think that as a young woman, Mary bought an abandoned railway station and turned it into a crystal empire. I am so grateful that Chelsea and I were able to join the SMC group and see something that, on our own, I'm sure we never would have know about.

After the tour at Celtic Crystal, Rosemary and Father Tom offered to buy us lunch, and if that wasn't nice enough, they listened to us complain the whole time about what a pain it's been to get money here. Father Tom has already emailed someone at St. Mary's to see if she can help us with getting our scholarship money into our Irish bank accounts. He had to have gone straight back to the hotel and sent that email, since right after lunch, he took us grocery shopping.

Yes! Father Tom bought us groceries.

It started because he asked Chelsea if she had honey to help sooth her sore throat, and when we said no, he offered to buy it for us. Honey was one thing, but we got to Dunne's and he insisted that we get whatever we needed. Fruit, bread, turkey, crackers, hot chocolate. Everything on our shopping list. It was a simple gesture, but it was one of the sweetest things that anyone has done for me. Chelsea and I left the store feeling like we could cry from the kindness of it all. To be invited to join the group for dinner and at Celtic Crystal was already so kind, but then the spring for lunch today and buy us groceries, it was almost too much.

It's people like Rosemary and Father Tom, people with hearts wide open, that keep my faith strong. I know that I was in Rosemary's class freshman year because it was exactly where I needed to be. I know that Father Tom is in our lives to remind us of the good in the world. The good in mankind.








No comments:

Post a Comment