Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Vulnerable

The other day I made myself very vulnerable by posting something that I would usually keep to myself. I've written things like that before, attempting to describe my pain, but I've never really shared it. Sure, there were probably only my three adoring fans who read it, but still, it was posted publicly. There was a thought of taking it down - I don't want to make them worry, what if I sound crazy...or worse, stupid - but I decided that I could share, I should share. I should not be afraid to share my true feelings, I should find strength in the fact that I have people in my life who might actually care to know what I am experiencing.

I am happy to report that the last four days have been great days! The morning after my last post, last Friday, 13 Jan (as they'd say here) I woke up nice and early, and went to school to sign up for my seminar class. Even though I was a good 50 people deep, I got the class that I needed, and I finalized my schedule for the semester. This of course, only happened after I went to a class called Nietzsche's Philosphy and realized, I cannot take Nietzsche's Philosophy. The class only had about seven people in it, and the course load seemed very intense. The professor asked us several times about why we had chosen the class, if we were philosophy majors, how much we knew about Nietzsche, and every time I was questioned, I just realized more and more that the class was not right for me. And I was certainly not right for the class. So, half way through the period, Chelsea and I gathered our belongings, explained to the professor that we were over our heads, and left. We then spent about an hour looking for other classes and trying to work out our schedules. Eventually, I landed on 18th Century Ireland. Why would I take a class as fascinating as the history of Ireland in the 18th Century? To be honest, it's a lecture, and it worked in my schedule. I have not had much luck...any luck in finding classes that I actually want to take. The system here didn't really allow for that. However, I finally have ironed out my schedule with some of the classes that I need, and all of the classes that fit into the timestable I want.

As we walked home from school that day, heads held high, feeling very confident in our planning abilities, Chelsea and I made an extraordinary discovery. Eddie Rocket's. Yes! It's Johnny Rocket's, Galway-edition. The food wasn't exactly the same - the Chocolate Malt was a little disappointing and the fries didn't have enough salt - but it was really nice to have a little taste of home. The interior was just like a Johnny Rocket's, and it was awesome to find it. A little place to remind me that I can still carry the love of my home with me, it's just a little bit different here.

No comments:

Post a Comment